Second Semester Activities
Spring Break looms on the horizon, and Grenada School District students and faculty are working hard to reach the highly anticipated holiday. While many Grenada School District students are focused only on exams this week, the Grenada High School Band is also preparing for their trip to Disney World over the break.
The GHS Charger Band leaves Thursday, March 8, 2012, for three days to perform in the Magic Kingdom. Approximately 153 students, chaperones, and parents will travel all night Thursday on three buses. One hundred and eight GHS band members will perform in an Epcot parade on Saturday morning that begins in the United Kingdom, winds around the fountain, and ends at Canada Pavilion. While marching, the band will perform music that they normally play in the stands at football games as well as the drum cadence. They will stop in front of the large fountain near the entrance to Epcot to perform the song “Dynamite,” a new selection they learned specifically for this trip. The guard will execute a flag routine during this song.
To be chosen to perform in the park, groups must send in an application , a photo, and a DVD of their performance. A committee then screens applicants and decides where and what type of show the group will perform. The parade at Epcot is a new performance venue this year at Disney World.
Before the band leaves, Grenada High School, Grenada Middle School, and Grenada Upper Elementary students must tackle nine-week exams. This is the third nine-weeks, and grades are more important than ever. Only one more grading period remains after Spring Break, as well as state mandated testing, and teachers have been working tirelessly preparing students for these remaining rounds of assessments.
Current exam schedules are as follows:
Grenada High School
- Tuesday, March 6, 2012 – First period exams
- Wednesday, March 7, 2012 – Second period and Fifth period exams
- Thursday, March 8, 2012 – Third period and Sixth period exams
- Friday, March 9, 2012 – Fourth and Seventh period exams
After the break, sophomore GHS students will face the SATP English II Writing test on March 21 and March 22.
Grenada Middle School
- Monday, March 5, 2012 – ICTI and ICTII (7th and 8th grade), and Social Studies exams
- Tuesday, March 6, 2012 – Math Common Assessment
- Wednesday, March 7, 2012 – Reading Common Assessment
- Thursday, March 8, 2012 – Language Common Assessment
- Friday, March 9, 2012 – Science(all Grades); 8th grade Science Common Assessment
Grenada Upper Elementary
- There is no set exam schedule for GUES. Teachers will inform the students in their specific classes which day their exam will take place.